積分 377
帖子 272
閱讀權限 50
註冊 2008-2-5
來自 Hong Kong
狀態 離線
[廣告]:
Sharing from an evolutionary biology student

Hello guys. Recently I am transferred in University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) for my Evolution, Ecology and Behavior major.  As I know a lot of young student here want to be a paleontologist or evolutionary biologist, I would love to share my experience for classes, researches and also information that I know for assist you guys to consider the major.

Nowadays, paleontology is normally a discipline for evolutionary biology or planetary science course. The use of paleontology is to serve as a dating method in dating the earth's formation and a study to understand the course of evolution in biological approach. Since the major or the concentration is outdated, aspiration student to be will either major in planetary science related major or biological science related major and go to graduate school afterward. As an undergraduate student, it is advised to take as much geology and biology course as you can to understand the basics such as datings and molecular clock. After graduate from bachelor you could apply for graduate school for the related field that you are interested. Since only 6901 offers the similar courses in Hong Kong, I think bachelor of science of HKU is the only opportunity that can help you to enter the field in Hong Kong. Afterward, you could consider apply school outside HK for the graduate studies ( unlike undergraduate, graduate schools oversea normally offers scholarships or even "hire" graduate students into their department to assist their researches).

I would love to answer question here if you have any further question about how to become a paleontologist/ evolutionary biologist. However, since the workload of my college, I might not able to come to here oftenly and it might take me awhile to reach you. And I can probably able to anwser any questions during the weekend.

P.S. I could share my lecture notes for the history of life course if you want. However, since the file of each lecture is pretty large, I could only send it by email and you could always message me your email if you want the lecture notes.
2015-10-17 05:54 AM#1
查看資料  發短消息  頂部

fossilshk (Lung)
管理員

研究員勳章   版主勳章   貢獻勳章   創意勳章   演講勳章   管理員勳章   榮譽勳章   出席勳章  
UID 1
精華 22
積分 4509
帖子 2705
閱讀權限 200
註冊 2006-7-14
來自 中國/香港
狀態 離線
[廣告]:
Thanks for your sharing. It should be useful.

2015-10-17 08:17 AM#2
查看資料  訪問主頁  發短消息  頂部

達爾文 (香港版)
[哺乳類] 金牌會員

VIP勳章   研究員勳章   貢獻勳章   演講勳章   榮譽勳章   出席勳章  
UID 12
精華 1
積分 1372
帖子 1084
閱讀權限 90
註冊 2006-8-1
狀態 離線
[廣告]:
Long time no see dinosaur prince wor.

有進化的
2015-10-18 06:52 PM#3
查看資料  發短消息  頂部

Dinosaurprince (Dinosaur Prince)
[魚類] 中級會員

研究員勳章   創意勳章   演講勳章   傑出會員勳章   出席勳章  
UID 3198
精華 2
積分 377
帖子 272
閱讀權限 50
註冊 2008-2-5
來自 Hong Kong
狀態 離線
[廣告]:
回復 #3 達爾文 的帖子

I am busy with school and part time job ma
2015-10-20 05:07 AM#4
查看資料  發短消息  頂部

trump
[三葉蟲] 註冊會員

演講勳章   傑出會員勳章   出席勳章  
UID 31411
精華 0
積分 188
帖子 200
閱讀權限 30
註冊 2013-5-8
狀態 離線
[廣告]:
How many years have to studying be a paleontologist?
2015-10-28 03:02 PM#5
查看資料  發短消息  頂部

[魚類] 中級會員

UID 3198
精華 2
積分 377
帖子 272
閱讀權限 50
註冊 2008-2-5
來自 Hong Kong
狀態 離線
[廣告]:
回復 #5 trump 的帖子

In USA normally 4 years of undergrad + 7 years PhD
But now in most of the top-ranked college in USA, you can apply to be an undergrad researcher if you have distinguish academic performance. eg. I am trying to apply for the origin of life research or paleoclimatology research in the coming winter quarter in UCLA
2015-11-5 12:56 PM#6
查看資料  發短消息  頂部

c7 (Cristiano Ronaldo)
[哺乳類] 金牌會員

貢獻勳章   演講勳章   傑出會員勳章   榮譽勳章   出席勳章  
UID 102
精華 1
積分 1457
帖子 1263
閱讀權限 90
註冊 2006-10-3
來自 man
狀態 離線
[廣告]:

QUOTE:
原帖由 Dinosaurprince 於 2015-11-5 12:56 PM 發表
In USA normally 4 years of undergrad + 7 years PhD
But now in most of the top-ranked college in USA, you can apply to be an undergrad researcher if you have distinguish academic performance. eg.  ...
11 年

2015-11-24 12:16 PM#7
查看資料  發短消息  頂部

oviraptor (偷蛋龍)
超級版主

版主勳章   貢獻勳章   創意勳章   演講勳章   榮譽勳章   出席勳章  
UID 2
精華 4
積分 1955
帖子 1241
閱讀權限 150
註冊 2006-10-16
來自 香港
狀態 離線
[廣告]:
Anymore choice to be a paleontologist?

(\\\\\) (\\\\\) (\\\\\) (/////) (/////) (/////)
2015-11-28 05:01 PM#8
查看資料  發短消息  頂部

[魚類] 中級會員

UID 3198
精華 2
積分 377
帖子 272
閱讀權限 50
註冊 2008-2-5
來自 Hong Kong
狀態 離線
[廣告]:
回復 #8 oviraptor 的帖子

To be honest, getting PhD is nearly a must if you want to land on academic or researches field, although certain lower paying positions in university are filled by undergrad or PhD students.
However, paleontology is a broad field to study that you don't have to only major in evolutionary biology or geology as certain area like oceanography, biology, and geography conduct researches such as paleocenography, evo devo and paleoclimatology which is related to paleontology. The advantage about consider those area is that since suject like paleoclimatology and evo-devo (evolutionary development) are application of paleontology in a practical area and do more thing than just digging up dinosaurs, the opportunities are much broader when the subjects like climate change (relate to paleoclimatology) or medicines (relate to evo-devo) are some of the most important area of modern society and it is much easier to land a job position other than the major institutes when applying the paleontology knowledge and skills with extreme high salary ( the climate scientist year salary is between US$89260-US$134730 in US depending on the states and job nature).
Also as the traditional job for paleontologist, you can also work for petroleum companies if your discipline is related to geology and know basic knowledge such as how to find oils.
2015-11-30 02:31 AM#9
查看資料  發短消息  頂部

[魚類] 中級會員

UID 3198
精華 2
積分 377
帖子 272
閱讀權限 50
註冊 2008-2-5
來自 Hong Kong
狀態 離線
[廣告]:
One think I forgot to emphasis is that it is essential to have good English communication and writing skills to do science. Since English is the international language and widely used as a communication in science. No matter where you want to go to do research or study, you will need to use English all the time. It is especially important in reading the paper for paleontology research as the wording for scientific report is generally more difficult than other science field such as ecology. In order to succeed in this competitive area, you must have a very good comprehensive skills for English reading.
2015-12-1 04:30 AM#10
查看資料  發短消息  頂部
 11  1/2  1  2  > 

可打印版本 | 推薦給朋友 | 訂閱主題 | 收藏主題  

{支持化石講場客戶廣告, 謝謝!}

{香港首個古生物化石網站 - 化石專賣/籌辦展覽/教育推廣/復原工作}
恐龍@化石工作室 Dinosaur @ Fossil Lab

本论坛支付平台由支付宝提供
携手打造安全诚信的交易社区   Powered by Discuz! 4.1.0  © 2001-2006 Comsenz Inc.
Processed in 0.011762 second(s), 8 queries

所有時間為 GMT+8, 現在時間是 2024-4-18 05:20 PM 清除 Cookies - 聯繫我們 - 恐龍@化石工作室 - Archiver - WAP